All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”

Go down 
+4
MightyRaze
Brianator
TechnoChicken
Rustbucket Garage
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”   1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2024, 5:43 pm

JB_4x4 wrote:

I do not know exactly which lamp is getting smacked by limbs.  Maybe this would fit?

Sweet tractor, I would be wearing the tires off of it!

It’s the ones mounted on the loader mast/the round sealed beams. Going to switch to some 3” round flat backs mounted behind the brush guard.

And thank you! She sure is easy on my eyes.

1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Img_0510

1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Img_0511

Mounted some grab hooks on the bucket, upgraded to flanged hardware and heavy grade spacer washers on the stub axle bolts. Was told by a few people those are needed for loader work (the washers) to prevent axle tube cracking. Mine is still cherry so an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. (That and new hardware looks nice Wink)

New lettering came in and got mounted, same with the billet shift knobs. Humina humina Wahooey! Also painted the gauge needles, and removed the flaking paint from the instrument cluster and went to a brushed aluminum polish which I like.

Rear work lights wired in finally. Debating on a second pair on the fenders- one facing down towards the 3pt and one point off to the 5 o clock position for running balers and haybines and the like. Would like to try putting hay in with this ol girl someday, but not soon probably.

Did check the trans oil and it’s milky again… going to change it again. Wondering if going from the universal fluid to 90 wt could quiet some of the gear or bearing whine in the trans, but I wanna read up on that and make sure the rear axle sump and transmission sumps aren’t conjoined, as 90wt in the hydraulics is not something I want and this tractor has wet brakes so additives are mandatory.

May just get an extra pail and do the rear end while I’m at it, it was clean when I got the tractor so I didn’t bother but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do.

I bought a v plow to mount to the bucket for snow removal and a set of snow chains.

Thinking down the road I want to install a splitter plate under the remote valve which would allow me to keep the original remote, maintain seat suspension travel clearance and I could also get a top and tilt kit. Can’t remember the number off the top of my head but I found a Gannon cylinder clone that will cross over. Tops are universal so that’s easy.

Kinda ironic I’m building a nearly 60 year old tractor to have more features than most new ones in this size range. Cept the AC… but a 445 4x4 with a sims cab is on my bucket list, to get air conditioning, R14 style tires, custom gauge cluster, single stick loader conversion with SSQA and 3rd function. Ideally this one can do all the “fun” jobs and the cab tractor can do the stuff that’s sweaty and nasty.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”   1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2024, 7:10 pm

One of the benefits of an enclosed A/C cab in Georgia is so when you run over a yellow jacket nest doing field work, you do not end up a pin cushion. Though probably not a problem in any place that needs a snow plow.

> but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to do.

As I used to tell people when I was a mechanic., fluid is cheap, hardware is not. Never mind single sourced hardware, made in low quantities over 10 years old. It is a beauty for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”   1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2024, 12:06 pm

We still get those little jerks up here, lol.

Looks like next year a double split or at the very least a good inspection of all the bearings and shafts is in order. Changed the transmission oil today, and a few metal flakes on the plug (not magnetic so they’re dispersed through the trans). Combined with the whining in second and 6th gear I suspect I have a worn bearing or a worn countershaft.

The oil looked like liquid rust. Absolutely disgusting, and pretty concerning considering this was done maybe 14 months/ 40 hours ago. Maybe part of that is the residual sludge from the first change, which was like milk.
For the time being I’m going to limit my use of second and keep an ear on it, it should get through to next year OK. Sounds normal in the other gears so I highly doubt I’ll be adding any abnormal wear.

Peering into the fill port with a flashlight, I didn’t see any chipped or broken gear teeth on the rear half/what I can see, so I’m hopeful.
Depending on how pricey a rebuild is I may swap in a dual power trans so I can have the creeper gear. Definitely would be nice for running tillers and the like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”   1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna” - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1968 Ford 5000 “Luanna”
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3