All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Idler Pulleys that last!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Idler Pulleys that last! Empty
PostSubject: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2024, 1:18 pm

So your factory or cheap replacement idlers have bit the dust, ate your belt, or are just screaming for mercy? Don’t want to waste money on those cheap replacement idlers that die in a few months? There’s a solution for you!

Automotive idler pulleys! They have much higher quality bearings and seals in them. There’s a pretty good chance you can find them at any parts store. The only downsides i can think of for them is theyre a bit more expensive than mower idlers online (probably the same price as those junk tractor supply ones), and that the flat idlers need a bit more work to be usable as they need belt keepers.

For v idlers, you can find ones like this Dayco 89039- its about 3-1/16” diameter with a 12mm (just under 1/2”) bore. This is commonly used as an AC belt tensioner pulley on 89-95 toyota pickups. The 890XXX series of dayco idlers seem to offer a range of sizes of idler. Advanced Auto parts website offers the actual sizing if you type in the part number there.

https://a.co/d/6ysnqOG

Flat idlers are a bit more tricky- most automotive flat idlers dont have the lip around them to stop the belt from walking off. You have to make guides so the belt cant come off. Usually jusy an L shaped piece bent up with a hole to bolt it on works pretty good, like i have here on the lawn ranger.

If the belt rubs one keeper or the other as it tracks from side to side on the flat pulley, don’t stress too much about it, just make sure the belt isnt fraying. If your keepers have rounded edges it should be fine, your keepers shouldn’t have any sharp edges anyway.

Interestingly enough this serpentine idler probably had 100k miles on it before it was replaced and thrown on this tractor. It still feels as good as new with many hours of use and abuse. Really shows how good the quality is on an automotive idler.
Idler Pulleys that last! Img_0814

MightyRaze, JB_4x4 and Ifitaintbroke like this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

PostSubject: Re: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2024, 8:43 pm

You could also get a grooved serpentine idler, and turn the grooves down on the lathe. Then you would have a lip on each side.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2024, 9:20 pm

Hey thats a pretty good idea! Someone could even do that with a grinder if they wanted to. I’ll have to look into it.

Ifitaintbroke likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2024, 8:15 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Hey thats a pretty good idea! Someone could even do that with a grinder if they wanted to. I’ll have to look into it.
Yeah I have a wood lathe and use that all the time to machine things with a grinder.

Ifitaintbroke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ifitaintbroke
Ifitaintbroke

PostSubject: Re: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2024, 8:20 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:

There should be plenty of metal there to work with. Good range of sizes, too. All you'd have to do is cut the grooves down and smooth it out. I'd like to see pics if anyone tries this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idler Pulleys that last!   Idler Pulleys that last! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idler Pulleys that last!
Page 1 of 1