All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.

Go down 
+8
TheEquineFencer
Chopperhed
AcreFarm
W1ldyOvvnZ
theswampmachine
dangeroustoys56
Doug
CraftsMAN
12 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Empty
PostSubject: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 12:37 am

So as many of you know that traction is key when offroading I remember I had on my jeep an onboard air compressor system to inflate and deflate my tires for rock climbing and snow wheeling. I recently aired my 2 rear tires on my craftsman down to 4psi and it performed very well in low gear. I decided to run a cheap walmart 12v air compressor off of my tractors battery so I could fill the tires back up again. The sidewalls of the atv tires will take a lot of abuse. Check out the video below at 2:00 in he plays with the tire pressure. Just another idea I figured I would add to my tractor. The compressor comes in handy to say the least. Will post photos soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-CNzP19ds
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 12:49 am

I also had an idea for a 4wd tractor using a hydraulic driven front axle. I was looking for a tractor with loader when I came across the ad below. I talked to the owner of the tractor who said that he was able to convert this 420 2wd tractor in to a 4wd unit using a hydraulic driven front axle. I know it would not be extremely hard to run a hydraulic pump off of the electronic PTO and that would enable a 4wd set up that you can switch on and off with the push of a button to activate and deactivate the pump. Anyway the guy said that the 420s front axle comes in handy in the snow and the front tires can spin no problem even under loads. Pritty cool? Very Happy
http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/3529897526.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 1:42 am

I like the idea of an onboard air pump. I plan on putting a 12v socket on my racer so I can use my battery for power accessories, and I had a 12v pump but I snapped the fitting off.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 12:21 pm

I bot one of those 'slime' kits - comes with a 12volt air pump - i planned on hooking that up on the GT . Only thing is itll be enough to add air, it wont be enough to pop a bead back on.

Im gonna hard wire it to the battery ( has its own switch).

Back to top Go down
theswampmachine

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2013, 8:23 pm

I would put train horns on it if you have a compressor and a tank... That would be awesome
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2013, 11:22 pm

‎i dont think the 12v air compressors work to well(i never had luck with them, the most i ever got one to get upto was 5 psi, i had two so i took them and made the two into a steam engine but it didnt work out so well because i couldn't weld the aluminum well(kept burning through because it was to thin and wasn't that good of aluminum), then i tried welding a hole shut and blew through one cylinder head.
but the 12v air compressors i did use were used ones that i found so that's probably something to do with my luck also(the ring looks to be nylon so i don't think they are designed to last a long time).
maybe if i buy one i will try it out, what happens if you pop your bead out in the middle of the trail?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
theswampmachine

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2013, 11:30 pm

I had never had an issue with poppin my bead off while playing. I usually run my tires with about 2psi and don't have any issues with it.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 12:00 am

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
‎i dont think the 12v air compressors work to well(i never had luck with them, the most i ever got one to get upto was 5 psi, i had two so i took them and made the two into a steam engine but it didnt work out so well because i couldn't weld the aluminum well(kept burning through because it was to thin and wasn't that good of aluminum), then i tried welding a hole shut and blew through one cylinder head.
but the 12v air compressors i did use were used ones that i found so that's probably something to do with my luck also(the ring looks to be nylon so i don't think they are designed to last a long time).
maybe if i buy one i will try it out, what happens if you pop your bead out in the middle of the trail?

Ive used ratchet straps to seat the bead of my Agway tires because ther im was too wide for the tire. It would work basically the same way but better fi your tire matches your rime (stretched tires are a paint to seat).

Plus its pretty hard to crack a bead. You would have to be running your tires really low and do some good damage go get it to pop off.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 7:38 am

Doug Fackler wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:

Ive used ratchet straps to seat the bead of my Agway tires because ther im was too wide for the tire. It would work basically the same way but better fi your tire matches your rime (stretched tires are a paint to seat).

Plus its pretty hard to crack a bead. You would have to be running your tires really low and do some good damage go get it to pop off.
i know what your talking about with the ratchet strap, thats what we do with out lawn cutting mowers(it always pops of the bead just sitting, the tire has a slow leak), when me and my friend were driving his mudding tractor through a feild we popped the tire off the bead(dont know how many psi were in the tire before we went out though, i just thought 4psi was on the low side but i guess if some ATV tires running pressure are 5 its not that low)
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 6:16 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
‎what happens if you pop your bead out in the middle of the trail?

Starting fluid & a lighter Cool
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 8:40 pm

If popping beads off is an issue - do as the offroaders do - bead locks. Shouldnt be that hard to do ( time consuming but not that hard).
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 10:49 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
If popping beads off is an issue - do as the offroaders do - bead locks. Shouldnt be that hard to do ( time consuming but not that hard).
Thats what i was thinking of doing, im not going to do it anytime soon because i have aluminum rims and i would like to see if i have issues with my tires and rims. and ive never really seen beadlocks in person, they have the outer ring on the outside of the rim and i assume the same on the back side?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2013, 10:56 pm

Can you find/cut slash/modify/hack a set of ATV rims. They are beadlock style already, they are damn hard to pop a bead on. GT rims tend to pop beads, alot, especially under low pressure conditions,(ie flat)

ATV beadlock style rims have a standard bead and shoulder on the rim, and an inner raised rib on the inside of the tire bead ( as differntiated from the rim bead). believe me they take a machine to pop the bead. I've tried all the old skool trick to pop them and the only way I've found is to use a machine. They ncan also be bitchy to mount, but worth it.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 8:28 am

ooh, you guys don't mean beadlocks like this?
Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. This-is-how-a-traditional-style-bead-lock-wheel-works
Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Beadlock02

What Chopperhed is saying makes me think the bead on an ATV tire is different then a lawn tractor tire and that is what you guys are calling a bead lock rim.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 1:54 pm

All my ATV tires are marked "to be mounted on beadlock rims only" or something similar. When I had the atv tires on my stock MTD tims, the beads would pop everytime the tires went flat.

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 2:01 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
ooh, you guys don't mean beadlocks like this?
Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. This-is-how-a-traditional-style-bead-lock-wheel-works
Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Beadlock02

What Chopperhed is saying makes me think the bead on an ATV tire is different then a lawn tractor tire and that is what you guys are calling a bead lock rim.

You can buy those very expensive aftermarket beadlock rims for ATV's and trucks.

The stock rims on my ATVs use a different style of beadlock, but is still considered a bead lock, and will hold even flat tires

Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Atv_be10
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 2:26 pm

My rims for mine had a raised ridge on it like that, although they werent very high. Made my life hell trying to get the tires off.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2013, 4:44 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
My rims for mine had a raised ridge on it like that, although they werent very high. Made my life hell trying to get the tires off.
\

They do make it difficult to swap tires, but the bead won't roll off in hard turns
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 9:24 am

theswampmachine wrote:
I would put train horns on it if you have a compressor and a tank... That would be awesome

Real "train horns" start around $5000 USD for a "kit". I have a buddy with a set, that's what he has in it.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2013, 6:06 am

TheEquineFencer wrote:
theswampmachine wrote:

Real "train horns" start around $5000 USD for a "kit". I have a buddy with a set, that's what he has in it.

I have put two sets of air horns in my car and set them up with 2 high notes on one compressor and 2 low notes on the other compressor. My car now can sound like a British train with its tow tone air horns.

I have kept to stock horn in so i technically have 3 horns on my car Very Happy
Check out my video of them here
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2013, 9:32 am

With bead locks you really can run "saggy" tires
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2013, 11:27 am

Beadlocks is a great idea.
I want to build a set for my mower.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:34 am

What I have found for a good tire pressure is 8 PSI
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.   Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low tire pressure traction idea and new modification I put on my tractor.
Page 1 of 1